DUROCK® Brand Cement Board provides a flat, durable base for premium finishes including glass and ceramic mosaics, ceramic and quarry tile, lugged tile, and thin stone and brick. Suitable for application to wood or steel framing spaced 16" o.c. in new construction and remodeling. It is ideal for use in partitions, walls, floors, soffits and ceilings in wet or dry areas. The mold- and moisture-resistant board does not deteriorate in the presence of water so it is extremely durable in areas such as baths, showers, kitchens and laundry rooms. Also suitable for exterior applications such as fences, mobile home skirting, agricultural buildings, garage wainscoting and exterior finishes; also adaptable for high-heat areas like fireplace fronts and UL-listed wall shield/floor protectors. DUROCK Brand Cement Board is backed by a 30-year warranty for interior applications and a 10-year warranty for exterior applications. Use with DUROCK™ Brand Joint Tape and DUROCK™ Brand Screws.
Features and Benefits
DUROCK® Brand Cement Board provides high flexural strength that resists bending to prevent finish cracking. When exposed to water, DUROCK Brand Cement Board will not swell, soften, decay, support mold growth, delaminate, or disintegrate. Its low thermal and hygrometric expansion helps prevent finish cracking. The board is easy and quick to install – it scores and snaps like gypsum panels and is easy to secure using DUROCK® Brand Screws, self-drilling fasteners or nails. Dry panel application shortens job schedules and lowers in-place cost.
- Tile bond - exceeds tile industry standards for tile shear
- Mold resistant - exceeds tile industry standards for resistance to bacteria and fungus growth
- Water durable - will not rot, warp, delaminate, or disintegrate when exposed to water
- Freeze/Thaw resistant - meets tile industry standards for freeze/thaw resistance
- Score and snap - Speeds up installation for increased productivity
- Dual surface texture - use mastics on smooth side for bonding material economy, and thin set mortars on the rough side for improved resistance to tile slip during installation
- Interior and exterior applications - one product for all high moisture applications
- Non-combustible - panel is fire safe and is used in fire resistant designs
- High Performance-high flexural and compressive strength, hardness and impact resistant
- Dimensional Stability-rigid board exhibits excellent water durability as a permanent tile base, and will not swell, soften, decay, delaminate or disintegrate
- Fire-Resistance- noncombustible panel. Assemblies with 1/2" Durock and Duracrete Exterior Cement Board have achieved 1 and 2 hour fire-resistance ratings.
- Easy Installation- Easy to cut and fasten. Dry panel application eliminates cement mixing and drying time, shortening job schedules and lowering in-place cost.
- Rolls out flat, with no roll-back memory
- Lightweight, thin and flexible
- No dust, no mess
- No mechanical fasteners required
- Maximum stud spacing: 400 mm (16") o.c. (600 mm [24"] o.c. for cavity shaft wall assembly); maximum allowable deflection, based on stud properties only, L/360. Maximum fastener spacing: 200 mm (8") o.c. for wood and steel framing;150 mm (6") o.c. for ceiling applications.
- Maximum dead load for ceiling system is 360 Pa (7.5 psf).
- Steel framing must be 0.9 mm (20-gauge/0.036") or heavier.
- Do no use drywall screws or drywall nails.
- Do not use 7.9 mm (5/16") DUROCK Underlayment for wall or ceiling applications.
- Do not use DUROCK Cement Board with vinyl flooring.
- Apply DUROCK Cement Board panels with ends and edges closely butted but not forced together. Stagger end joints in successive courses.
- Fasten DUROCK Cement Panel to framing with specified fasteners. Drive fasteners into field of DUROCK Cement Panel first, working toward ends and edges. Hold DUROCK Cement Panel in firm contact with framing while driving fasteners. Space fasteners maximum 200 mm (8") o.c. for walls, 150 mm (6") o.c. for ceilings with perimeter fasteners at least 9.5 mm (3/8") and less than 15.9 mm (5/8") from ends and edges. Drive nails and screws so bottoms of heads are tight to surface of DUROCK Cement Panels to provide firm panel contact with framing. Do not overdrive fasteners. Approved fasteners include: 1. DUROCK™ Wood/Steel Screws, or 2. Minimum (38 mm [1-1/2"]) (44 mm [1-3/4"]) 3.1 mm (11-gauge), hot dipped galvanized roofing nails with nominal 11 mm (7/16") diameter head for wood framing.
- DUROCK Cement Panels should be cut to size utilizing a knife and straight edge. A power saw should be used only if it is equipped with a dust collection device. Worker should wear NIOSH/MSHA-approved dust mask.
See Technical Information for More Details